Highlander Virtual 5k: April 22-September 8
All proceeds go towards supporting UCR Staff Assembly programs including emergency assistance for staff.
Presented by UCR Staff Assembly and Healthy Campus.
As part of your paid registration, you will receive a:
- Goodie Bag
Your submitted screenshots will qualify you to compete for various award categories:
- UCR Spirit (You must include the hashtag #UCRSAVirtual5k and tag IG: @UCRSA to qualify for this award category.)
- Most creative face mask (You must include the hashtag #UCRSAVirtual5k and tag IG: @UCRSA to qualify for this award category.)
- Most creative course route/spell something (You must include the hashtag #UCRSAVirtual5k and tag IG: @UCRSA to qualify for this award category.)
- It’s a Highlander Family Affair (You must include the hashtag #UCRSAVirtual5k and tag IG: @UCRSA to qualify for this award category.)
- PAWs Pet Pal Award (You must include the hashtag #UCRSAVirtual5k and tag IG: @UCRSA to qualify for this award category.)
- Fastest time by age category (18-25, 26-40, 41-60, 60+)
- Tartan Turtle: Slow 'n' steady wins the race!
What is a virtual 5k?
A virtual 5k can be run virtually anywhere! Participants can run/walk their 5K any time between April 22-September 8, anywhere they choose. You can run it in your neighborhood, with your dog, on a treadmill, in your living room -- almost anywhere! (Please remember to adhere to all social distancing measures as required by your county.)
Simply track your run using one of several popular tracking apps and submit a screenshot of your run to us.
This event is for everyone, no matter your fitness level. It’s a fun way to get creative with your friends and family, and support UCR's Staff Assembly!
Cost: $25 (does not include shipping)
Registration deadline: Tuesday, September 8
Rules of competition
- Entry fees are non-refundable.
- Registration is non-transferable.
- It is the responsibility of each participant to follow all posted road signs and traffic laws.
- Posted website results are final. No further protests or changes to the data will be accepted.
- Decisions of the event director or race director are final in all matters.
- Questions? Award category suggestion? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll get back to you soon!
- Under current COVID-19 restrictions, please follow quarantine/social distancing/mask requirements as dictated by your county.
For every four (4) paid entries, you get an additional entry fee! Please email MaryAnn Gochicoa with 4 Eventbrite Order #s. We will provide you with a special code to register your 5th team member for FREE.
Goodie back pick-up
T-shirt, medal and goodie bags will be distributed once UCR on-campus restrictions have been lifted. Shipping is available through registration for a nominal fee.
All participants are required to show a government-issued photo ID when picking up their race goodies. To pick up items for your family and friends, you must bring a copy of each individual’s photo ID.
Tracking your run
Tracker must include the following information to qualify:
- Distance: minimum of 5K (or 3.1 miles)
- Map of route
- Run Time
- Average Speed
- Location (City, State)
Suggested Tracking Apps
Some examples of run tracking apps you can use include:
- Nike+Run Club
- Sports Tracker
- Google Fit
UCR Staff Assembly is not responsible for, and expressly disclaims all liability arising out of using the suggested fitness apps. Staff Assembly does not officially endorse nor is paid to advertise any of the suggested apps on our site, please use and install at your own risk. If you have support or troubleshooting questions with any of the suggested apps, please direct them to the specific application support channels.
Submitting your run
You must submit your route/social media images by September 8 to be entered for the various prize categories.
The screenshot must include the following information to qualify for a prize category:
- Distance: minimum of 5K (or 3.1 miles)
- Map of route
- Run time
- Average speed
- Location (city, state)
- Eventbrite registration #
Email your screenshot to email@example.com and that's it!
Frequently asked questions
What is a virtual 5K?
A virtual 5K is a race that can be ran at any location.
Who is UCR Staff Assembly?
UCR Staff Assembly is an organization “for staff, by staff” that is dedicated to promoting the interest and welfare of all staff employees.
How does a virtual race work?
Participants can run/walk/complete their 5K any time, anywhere they choose during April 22-June 19! You simply track your run using one of several popular tracking apps, and submit a screenshot of your run to us. As part of your paid registration, you will receive some awesome perks: t-shirt, medal and goodie bag!
Why should I do a virtual race?
The short answer would be because you're cool! If you need more convincing, the top 3 reasons would include:
- The chance to add a really cool t-shirt and medal to your collection. (Seriously, these medals are super seriously cool and one-of-a-kind.)
- Complete control over your schedule. Complete the race on your own time, at your own venue. No travel expenses, no hassle with parking and no long lines waiting at the potty.
- An opportunity to support a great cause. Proceeds from the 5K will benefit Staff Assembly’s programs.
Who can participate?
Everybody and anybody! There is no age limit and there are no restrictions. So run, jog, walk, crawl, run alone, run in a group, run with your pet, bike, hike, it doesn’t matter. Just get out there and get moving!
Can I complete the race with a group? Do we get any discounts as a group?
A group discount is available for UCR campus departments only. For every four (4) paid entries, you will get an additional one free! We will only be accepting recharges for the group discounts. Please contact MaryAnn Gochicoa if you’re interested.
Do I have to complete the 5K all at one time?
Yes, you will have to complete the distance all at one time if you want to qualify for a prize category. If you’re not submitting for a prize, you can complete it at your leisure and submit before the deadline.
Do I need to submit my 5K route in order to redeem my goodie bag?
No, entry of your 5K route is only required if you’d like to be entered into the grand prize drawings for the various race categories.
When will I receive my goodies?
You can pick up your t-shirt, medal, and goodie bag during our pick-up events once we return to UCR campus. You will also have the choice to ship your t-shirt and medal for an additional cost. Please contact MaryAnn Gochicoa to arrange shipping.
I don’t live in the United States, can I still participate?
Absolutely!!! Please contact MaryAnn Gochicoa to arrange shipping.
Still have questions?
Email MaryAnn Gochicoa and we’ll answer any questions you have.